NFL Investigating Bars For Showing Game Despite Blackout
Game Between Chargers And Arizona Cardinals Last Sunday Blacked Out
Last Updated: 964 days ago
The NFL is investigating some local restaurants and bars for breaking the blackout and showing Sunday's game between the Chargers and the Arizona Cardinals.Last week, the NFL sent a cease and desist letter to about 90 bars in San Diego but some businesses still showed Sunday's game.The letter's message was clear: show the game in the bar or restaurant and face a potential $150,000 fine. In the letter, the NFL warned the bars that showing the game would infringe on the NFL's copyright.Robert Romero, who co-owns Trivoli's, told 10News, "I got a letter in the mail the other day from the NFL saying bars like yours better not be doing illegal connections with the games and stuff like that. You know what I did? I sent the letter back."Romero said Trivoli's did not show Sunday's game.The bars believed to have shown the home opener on Sept. 19, apparently did so by patching Internet signals of the blacked-out home opener into televisions.When asked how many bars in San Diego showed Sundays game without permission, NFL spokesman Dan Masonson replied in an e-mail, "We are reviewing reports."For now, the NFL is not saying which bars are being investigated for showing Sunday's game.