New charges coming for ex-Carlsbad military school administrator

SAN DIEGO - A former Carlsbad military boarding school administrator already facing accusations that he sexually abused multiple students was indicted on new charges Friday.

The San Diego County District Attorney's Office unsealed a grand jury indictment against 56-year-old Jeffrey Barton, who is accused of molesting several students at the Army and Navy Academy and other private boy's schools outside California.

With the additional charges, Barton now faces 23 counts, including forcible sex counts. He pleaded not guilty to the additional charges and his bail was set at $6 million. He remains in San Diego County Jail.

10News learned that the indictment has been resealed.

Barton, the former head of Army and Navy Academy in Carlsbad, was arrested and charged last October with molesting two middle school cadets. Four other uncharged victims were from Barton's previous places of employment, McCallie Boarding School for boys in Tennessee and Aiken Preparatory Boarding School for boys in South Carolina.

A preliminary hearing was scheduled earlier this month with the alleged victims -- now men between the ages of 28 and 41 years old -- set to testify against Barton.

When Barton fired his attorney and the preliminary hearing canceled, prosecutors exercised their right to convene a grand jury, said Deputy District Attorney Tracy Prior.

The amended indictment contains charges that Barton molested four boys at Army and Navy Academy. Three other boys from the schools in Tennessee and South Carolina are listed as uncharged victims, Prior said.

The prosecutor dismissed allegations by Barton's attorney that the timing of the amended indictment comes several days before an election in which Prior's boss, District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis, is up for re-election.

"There's nothing further from the truth," Prior said outside court. "This case is about a sexual abuse perpetrator who spanned 30 years, three separate boarding schools and seven separate victims."

Barton worked at Army and Navy Academy, a college-preparatory school, from 1995 until early last year.

An investigation was launched a year ago, when a former student, now an adult, told authorities he was victimized by Barton. Detectives subsequently identified the other alleged victims.

Barton, who faces oral copulation and sodomy charges, faces life in prison if convicted. He will be back in court June 13 for a status conference.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments