Mayor Bob Filner says he's innocent of sexual harassment claims

SAN DIEGO - Mayor Bob Filner said he was innocent of sexual harassment allegations in a news release sent out early Friday evening.

"I am confident that a fair and independent investigation will support my innocence with respect to any charges of sexual harassment," the mayor's statement reads.

Filner has never admitted guilt to those claims -- he had only said he was guilty of intimidating women he worked with in the past in the DVD released earlier this week.

The new statement comes in a news release about the mayor's plan for an independent review and investigation.

Here is the full release sent from the mayor's spokeswoman.

"Consistent with the email sent to all employees yesterday by the Human Resources Department, the City’s EEO Policy was established to ensure that all City employees, contract workers, and volunteers are aware of their rights and responsibilities, and that the workplace is free from discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation in any form.

If a claim is made, the City has a 100% response policy. The City will respond, and take necessary steps to investigate reports of discrimination, harassment, or retaliation made in the workplace and will take appropriate action.

I am committed to ensuring a full, complete and independent investigation in response to any formal complaint against me. To ensure the independence of an investigation, all complaints will be referred to the City’s Equal Opportunity Investigative Office (EEIO) which does not report to me. If there are concerns related to the City conducting the investigation, I will authorize the use of an outside independent investigator.

While I stand by my comments and pledge of yesterday to make changes to improve the workplace environment in my office, I am confident that a fair and independent investigation will support my innocence with respect to any charges of sexual harassment."

Print this article Back to Top