Man who pleaded guilty in shooting deaths of two teenagers expected to withdraw plea

Kenneth Hamilton one of four who pleaded guilty

VISTA, Calif. - A man who pleaded guilty in the gang-related shooting deaths of two teenagers at Libby Lake Park in Oceanside was expected to withdraw his plea Wednesday.
   
Kenneth Dwight Hamilton, 36, is one of four men who pleaded guilty in connection with the May 3, 2011, deaths of 14-year-old Sandra Salgado and 16-year-old Fernando Solano.
   
Hamilton and co-defendant Justin Holiday Gibson each pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter, and 21-year-old AL'C Bejaran -- the shooter – pleaded guilty to murder.
   
A fourth gang member, Tyrone Blackmon, pleaded guilty to being an accessory after the fact and was sentenced to four years in prison.
   
Bejaran was sentenced last month to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Gibson was sentenced to 20 years in state prison on Jan. 14.
   
Oceanside police found the victims' bodies at the Calle Montecito Street park about 10:30 p.m. while responding to reports of gunfire in the area.
   
The teens, who relatives said were boyfriend and girlfriend, had no gang ties but were in the wrong place at the wrong time, according to police.
   
The prosecution said Gibson and Hamilton -- members of a predominately black street gang -- went to the park in rival Hispanic gang territory with Bejaran the night of the shootings.
   
Police said Hamilton later confessed he, Gibson and Bejaran were smoking marijuana when Bejaran spotted the victims on a hillside and shot them.

Bejaran's then-girlfriend testified that he wanted revenge for an attack on Hamilton days earlier.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments