Man who accidentally fell asleep while smoking rescued
Rescue workers say man sustained minor burns
Last Updated: 239 days ago
SAN DIEGO - A man sustained serious burn injuries in Grant Hill early Thursday after he apparently fell asleep or passed out while smoking, setting himself and a nearby tree on fire, authorities said.
The man, possibly a transient, was burned on his face and chest near the corner of Market and 25th streets about 4:40 a.m., according to San Diego police and San Diego fire-rescue spokesman Maurice Luque.
Responding emergency personnel had to wake the man up and took him to a burn center for treatment, Luque said.
The spokesman could not immediately say whether the injuries were life-threatening.
Copyright 2013 by City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.