A man who admitted having 13 pipe bombs in his Del Cerro home was sentenced Monday to a two-year state prison term.
» Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts» Like Us On Facebook» Follow Us On Twitter
Scott James Martin, who turns 52 Tuesday, pleaded guilty last December to five counts of possessing a destructive device in a public place. He initially faced 13 years in prison.
A bomb squad removed the explosives from Martin's home on Madra Avenue last Sept. 9. The operation lasted hours and brought traffic along the neighborhood to a halt. At least one home was evacuated.
According to court documents, Martin's fiancee called police a week before the bombs were found, saying that Martin was hallucinating.
Stephanie Hill told police that he started making bombs after volunteering for a fireworks company and that she told him not to work on the explosive devices around their 5-year-old son.
On Monday, Hill asked Judge Dwayne Moring for leniency, even though Martin had agreed to a two-year prison sentence. She said their child needed a father and "I believe he has served his time."
"I have a 5-year-old who has a long lifespan still and needs a father around to help with that responsibility," Hill said.
Moring said by law, and for Martin's guilty plea, the sentence would not be reduced.
A bomb technician said one of the bombs found in Martin's home contained about 200 times the legal limit of a firecracker, according to court documents.
Moring ordered the release and destruction of the ammunition found inside the sprawling home.
The home was sold to another family earlier this year.
Copyright Do you have more information about this story? Click here to contact usCopyright 2012 by 10News.com. City News Service contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.