Man Linked To Missing Student To Spend 1 Year In Jail

John Steven Burgess To Serve One-Year Sentence For Concealing An Accidental Death

The man who admitted to drugging and dumping the body of a missing San Diego State University student will not be set free on Friday.

  • Video:Man Linked To Missing Student To Serve Another Year
  • John Steven Burgess admitted to drugging 19-year-old Donna Jou and dumping her body in the ocean. For that admission, Burgess was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in connection with her disappearance and sentenced to five years in prison.

    Because of good behavior, Burgess was scheduled to be released on Friday after serving only two years.

    Instead, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said Burgess will be released from state custody and then turned immediately over to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. From there, he'll be taken to the Los Angeles County Jail to begin serving a one-year sentence for concealing an accidental death.

    10News spoke with Donna's father Reza Jou, who said the new sentence was not enough.

    "They have to investigate," he said. "They have to find out the truth and they have to punish [Burgess] for what he has done because they haven't shown us any proof. The thing that he's telling… there is no proof one way or the other."

    Reza Jou added, "It is just a small slap on his wrist for such a major crime."

    Burgess admitted to giving drugs to Jou and dumping her body in the ocean. Jou's body has not been found.

    Jou's parents said they find it disturbing that someone has been sending Burgess $200 every month while he has been in prison.

    "I believe my daughter is a victim of human trafficking and whoever is protecting this guy – sending the money -- maybe has my daughter," said Nili Jou, Donna's mother.

    Reza and Nili Jou will be joined by other family members and supporters in downtown Los Angeles on Friday for a protest.

    They are calling on Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley to reopen the case with new investigators.

    Cooley's office said it can't do that unless new evidence is found.

    Print this article Back to Top