Man hospitalized after Shelter Island boat fire
Victim taken to UCSD's burn center
Last Updated: 248 days ago
SAN DIEGO - An explosion and fire on a boat at Shelter Island sent a man to a hospital with burns on Saturday.
The boat was in reverse when the accident occurred at about 6 a.m., a San Diego Fire-Rescue Department Rescue dispatcher said.
Medics took him to UCSD's burn center in Hillcrest with second-degree burns on his hands, face and legs, the dispatcher said.
A spark from a battery may have ignited some gasoline fumes, according to firefighters.
The man's name and condition were unavailable Saturday.
Copyright 2012 by City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.