Man accused of stabbing ex-girlfriend to death could have trial date set
John Carlo Monta charged with murder
Last Updated: 90 days ago
SAN DIEGO - A trial date could be set Wednesday for a man accused of stabbing his ex-girlfriend to death after he found out she had a new boyfriend and might be going to the Philippines and not coming back.
John Carlo Monta, 29, is charged with murder in the death last November of 24-year-old Joanne Javier.
Javier's body was discovered about 4:25 p.m. last Nov. 9 with a chest wound in an SUV in a Carlsbad parking lot, near the dental office where she worked. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Monta was arrested about six hours later at his apartment in Linda Vista. Investigators said the victim's blood was found in the defendant's car.
Deputy District Attorney Claudia Grasso said Monta and Javier had broken up, and he found out she had a new boyfriend. Monta also knew Javier was planning to go to the Philippines with her 3-year-old son and might not come back, according to the prosecutor.
Monta underwent a bone marrow transfusion last year and is battling cancer, Grasso said. He faces 26 years to life in prison if convicted.
Copyright 2013 by City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.