Man accused in Rancho Santa Fe mansion robbery ordered to stand trial

David Grub faces 34 years in prison if convicted

SAN DIEGO - A man who allegedly barged into a Rancho Santa Fe mansion with an accomplice five days before Christmas and looted the residence while holding a housekeeper at gunpoint must stand trial on robbery and other charges, a judge ruled Wednesday.

David Grub faces 34 years in prison if convicted.

After a preliminary hearing, Judge Kenneth So found that enough evidence was presented for Grub to stand trial on three counts of robbery, burglary and a gun allegation.

A readiness conference was set for Aug. 12 and trial for Oct. 30.

Early on the afternoon of Dec. 20, Grub and another man allegedly confronted the maid at the large house in the 5400 block of El Mirlo, threatened her with a gun and forced their way inside, authorities said.

After gathering jewelry and antiques, the bandits handcuffed the victim to a door to keep her from calling 911, then fled in a blue Hyundai Elantra.

Sheriff's officials said the housekeeper was found by her children several hours later. She was unhurt. The robbers' getaway car was eventually found abandoned.

Grub, also accused in a La Jolla incident, has an appetite for furs and diamonds, according to court documents obtained by 10News.

In the La Jolla incident, Jay and Noel Hawley said they came home to find Grub standing in their driveway, armed with a gun and an armful of furs.  

"We looked at him and he looked at us, and I said, 'Oh God, Jay, those are my furs," Noel Hawely testified.  

Jay Hawley, who didn't initially see a weapon, got out of his vehicle and confronted Grub.  

"He told me not to come closer and at that point he was walking backwards," said Hawley.
Inside the home was the couple's real estate agent, Peggy Annchodorow. She had just finished showing the multi-million dollar mansion and was locking the doors when Grub appeared with a gun demanding to know where the jewelry was stored.  

"I was absolutely terrified; I thought I was going to die," said Annchodorow.

She made it out alive, but the Hawleys nearly did not.

Grub fired two shots at the ground, and shrapnel and concrete debris hit Jay Hawley in the face.

After a tip, Grub, 43, was arrested Feb. 28 in Alpine. The second suspect remains at large.

Detectives testified that Grub's girlfriend turned him into authorities.  

Anyone with information leading to the apprehension of the second suspect can leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers at 888-580-8477. Tipsters may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.

Print this article Back to Top