Man Accused In Oceanside Standoff To Stand Trial

Noel Sean Myers To Stand On Charges Of Assault With Deadly Weapon On Peace Officer, Making Criminal Threats

An Oceanside man accused of assaulting his father and a neighbor, then firing a pellet gun at officers during a several-hour standoff, was ordered Tuesday to stand trial on charges of assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer, making criminal threats and other counts.

» Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts» Like Us On Facebook» Follow Us On Twitter

Noel Sean Myers, 50, faces life in prison if convicted, said Deputy District Attorney Ryan Saunders.

After a half-day preliminary hearing, Vista Superior Court Judge Runston Maino ruled that enough evidence was presented for Myers to stand trial Oct. 16. A readiness conference is set for Aug. 24.

Police went to Myers' home in the 600 block of South Cleveland Street about 3 p.m. on May 10 to arrest him for allegedly attacking a neighbor with a pipe or stick earlier in the day and assaulting his father two days prior, according to Oceanside police Lt. Leonard Mata.

When officers contacted him, Myers allegedly retreated into his residence and refused repeated orders to surrender.

At one point during the ensuing standoff, the suspect fired a pellet gun out of the house, striking an officer in the face, according to Mata. No serious injuries resulted, he said.

In the late afternoon, a SWAT team surrounded the home and prepared to enter forcibly, if necessary, according to Mata. About 6:15 p.m., officers fired tear gas into the home, forcing Myers out. Police were able to take him into custody without further incident.

It was unclear what prompted the suspect's actions, Mata said.

In addition to assault on a peace officer and making threats, Myers is charged with elder abuse likely to cause great bodily injury, exhibiting a deadly weapon while resisting arrest and possession of an incendiary device.

Print this article Back to Top