Man accused in crash on Interstate 805 pleads not guilty: Donald Clark faced judge Tuesday
Clark accused of felony DUI
Last Updated: 66 days ago
SAN DIEGO - A man accused of causing a horrific crash on Interstate 805 last week pleaded not guilty on Tuesday.
Donald Clark, 22, faced a judge in a downtown courtroom. Through his attorney, Clark pleaded not guilty to felony DUI with an allegation of causing great bodily injury and driving with a suspended license.
"Mr. Clark has been advised of his constitutional rights," said the attorney representing Clark. "(He) enters a not guilty plea denying the allegations."
According to the California Highway Patrol, at about 3:30 a.m. Friday, Clark was behind the wheel of a tan Mazda heading southbound on I-805. The CHP says Clark was just south of University Avenue when his car began to drift.
"In those early morning hours, he struck the center median, causing a Caltrans message sign to break in half," said deputy district attorney Adam Gordon.
Debris from the sign flew into the northbound lanes of the freeway. That caused a series of crashes, one after another.
One crash landed Navraj Moktan in the hospital with life-threatening injuries after a large cement mixer truck slammed into him. Moktan was propelled into the air and landed on the shoulder of the freeway.
He was the most severely injured and has already endured several surgeries since Friday's crash.
"Hopefully the victim is going to have a speedy recovery but we are concerned about his condition at this time," said Gordon.
10News checked with the hospital on Tuesday where Moktan is still being treated. 10News was told he is in fair condition.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.