The daily routine for death row inmates in Florida, according to the state Department of Corrections, includes:
- Being in a 6 x 9 x 9.5 feet high death row cell or a 12 x 7 x 8.5 feet high death watch cell at all times except for medical reasons, exercise, social or legal visits or media interviews.
- Being counted for at least once an hour.
- Being served meals prepared by prison staff three times a day.
- Showering every other day.
While the daily routine of death row inmates may not be a fascinating one, there exists great fascination about the last meals of condemned prisoners, as morbid as it may seem.
As explained on the Florida Department of Corrections death row page, an inmate may request a last meal prior to execution and it cannot cost more than $40. It must be purchased locally.
Choosing a last meal may seem like an easy question to answer for death row inmates, but it's not as simple of a question as it appears.
Some death row inmates have chosen their favorite foods, others have choosen to forgo a final feast.
Despite their reason for choosing or not choosing their last meal, there have been some interesting requests among the 86 executed inmates since the reinstatement of the Death Penalty in 1976.
Here is a list of some final meal requests by death row inmates:
- Executed in 1979 for murder
Requested Jack Daniels
- Florida has since banned alcohol as part of the last meal
Theodore (Ted) Bundy
- Executed in 1989 for rape, necrophilia, prison escape, and 35+ counts of murder
- Declined a "special" meal. Instead was given traditional last meal: steak (medium rare), eggs (over easy), hash browns, toast with butter and jelly, milk, and juice
Allen Lee "Tiny" Davis
- Executed in 1999 for robbery and three counts of murder
- Requested lobster tail, fried potatoes, 1/2 lb fried shrimp, 6 oz fried clams, 1/2 loaf garlic bread, and a 32 oz A&W root beer
Executed in 2002 for murder
- Crime drama film Monster was created from this case
- Declined a last meal and only had a cup of coffee
- Executed in 2002 for murder
Mark Dean Schwab
- Executed in 2008 for rape and murder of 11-year-old Junny Rios-Martinez, Jr.
- Requested bacon, sausage, fried eggs, hash browns, buttered toast, and chocolate milk
- Executed in 2011 for triple murders
- Requested two salami sandwiches on white bread and half a peanut-butter-and-grape-jelly sandwich
- Executed in 2013 for murder
- Requested a box of chocolates and a tub of ice cream