Nursing mom says TSA's inspection of breast milk at Lindbergh Field was 'frustrating'

Nicole Moberg said process took an hour

SAN DIEGO - A working mother said she was put in a frustrating situation at Lindbergh Field due to the breast milk she was carrying with her through security.

Nicole Moberg travels up to five days a week as a sales director for a medical company.

While on the road, she pumps milk for her 7-month-old son, but she said flying out of Lindbergh Field Thursday with that milk took nearly 60 minutes.

She said she had nearly 50 bags of milk, which were then put into two one-gallon Ziplock bags.

Moberg said during a security screening, the TSA officers then proceeded "to take all the milk out."

"This wasn't typical," Moberg said.

According to Moberg, TSA officers usually check the bags, but not each individual packet of milk.

"It's a little swatch and they attach it to a handle, and they kind of swish it over the bag and a little over the milk and they run it through a machine, and they let me go most of the time," Moberg said. "This time … they checked every single bag."

She was concerned the milk would spoil when TSA officers put it on the counter. Eventually, other officers came to help. She said one of the officers made a comment about all the breast milk she was carrying.

Moberg said an officer told her "if you just put this all in one jug, it would have been fine."

"That makes a lot of sense," Moberg said sarcastically. "I'm going to go around to my meetings with a jug of milk?"

In April, the TSA settled a lawsuit for $75,000 with California mother Stacy Armato. Armato did not want her containers of breast milk to be X-rayed at the airport in Phoenix. Instead of an alternate screening, she said she was forced to stand in a holding area for 40 minutes.

TSA regulations say breast milk, which is considered liquid medication, "must be declared to the TSA officer at the beginning of the screening process."

The rules also state, "Officers may test liquids for explosives or concealed prohibited items."

"I get it, I get that you want to protect travelers, but I do feel that there needs to be something in place for working moms," Moberg said.

Team 10 contacted the TSA, and a spokesperson said they reviewed the footage from the airport and determined the proper protocols were followed.

They dispute the amount of time it took to examine the milk, saying it was about 10 minutes rather than an hour.

Print this article Back to Top