Independence Day coals blamed for sparking house fire near El Cajon Sunday

Homeowner says coals in trash caught home on fire

EL CAJON, Calif. - An East County man tells 10News he has learned a lesson after dumping his leftover Fourth of July coals in the trash.

The homeowner says the still warm coals caused his home to catch fire just before 8 a.m. Sunday morning in the 2100 block of Eula Lane near El Cajon.

The homeowner says the fire started in his trash can, which then spread to his house. The family noticed smoke and flames coming from the backyard and then called for help.

Firefighters with Cal Fire and Heartland Fire & Rescue doused the flames, which were contained to the back of the house. Crews had the fire out within 20 minutes.

No injuries were reported.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments