Imperial Beach family treated at UCSD Medical Center for carbon monoxide poisoning
High levels of colorless, odorless gas detected
Last Updated: 156 days ago
IMPERIAL BEACH, Calif. - Four family members who live in Imperial Beach were in the hospital Monday night after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Outside of UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest, a man and a woman were taken out of an ambulance wearing oxygen masks, while their two children walked out of an ambulance and into the hospital to get checked out.
All were taken out of their Imperial Beach home along Cypress Avenue Monday afternoon after complaining of flu-like symptoms, which the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department later determined to be carbon monoxide poisoning.
"I'm just wondering if they are OK. No one can tell me anything,” said Michael Clement, the brother of the man taken to the hospital. Clement told 10News he was unaware of what had happened.
"I have to call the hospital to find out right now. I'm hoping they are all OK," Clement said.
A neighbor told 10News that the family had been feeling the flu-like symptoms since at least Thursday and had been to the hospital twice since then.
Crews from San Diego Gas and Electric and San Diego Fire-Rescue spent all afternoon at the home.
The crews used carbon monoxide detection devices to check the dangerous levels inside the home.
"CO is colorless, odorless, and can’t be detected unless you have a CO detector in your house," said Capt. John French of the Imperial Beach Fire Department. "This is really a time to have a CO detector in your house and make sure it is working correctly."
It was unclear if the family had a working CO detector in their home.
"It does make me want to go and check," said concerned neighbor Amber Hansen. The Imperial Beach resident told 10News she’s relieved the family will be OK, but will now take matters into her own hands to protect her family.
"I’m going to go push the (battery) button to make sure everything is still operating properly," added Hansen. "And if not, I’m going to change out the batteries."
All four family members are expected to make a full recovery.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.