A Carlsbad man was sentenced to six years in prison Monday for a sexual attack against his now-former wife.
Shawn Harris was convicted of forced oral copulation in September last year. A jury hung on two other counts involving spousal rape.
Harris sat quietly in his blue jail jumpsuit Monday morning as he listened to his ex-wife, Crystal Harris, speak about how the incident has devastated their family. She said her husband raped and choked her in March 2008 while their two young children were in the house.
Crystal Harris cried during her victim impact statement. She said her ex-husband betrayed her and their two boys -- now ages 8 and 6.
Shawn Harris' defense argued for the minimum sentence of three years, while prosecutors pushed for the maximum of eight years. In the end, Judge Joan Weber followed the probation department's recommendation.
Weber called Shawn Harris' actions the "ultimate taking advantage of [a] position of trust."
Shawn Harris initially claimed the sexual attack was role-playing, something he and his wife did frequently. He issued a brief statement in court, apologizing to those hurt by his actions and said he holds "no ill will" towards his former spouse.
His mother, Karen Harris, believes her son is innocent.
"The truth will come out," Karen Harris said.
Shawn Harris will also have to register as a sex offender.
Copyright Do you have more information about this story? Click here to contact usCopyright 2012 by 10News.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.