Horno Fire Breaks Out Near Camp Pendleton

Military firefighters worked to extinguish a fire that flared Wednesday on the southeast side of Camp Pendleton -- the fourth blaze to break out at the base since Tuesday.

Residents of Camp Pendleton's Serra Mesa Housing development were instructed to relocate to the 22 Area Parade Deck as a precaution, authorities said.

A stretch of Interstate 5 between northern Oceanside and the Orange County line was closed during the morning commute today due to wildfires at Camp Pendleton, authorities reported.

The blazes also forced evacuations in the community of De Luz on the northwest border of the military installation, according to the base's public affairs office.

Metrolink service at the San Juan Capistrano, Oceanside and San Clemente stations was temporarily suspended due to the fires, said Denise Tyrrell of the regional rail service.

By 8:30 a.m., fire crews' progress against the flames allowed for the reopening of the southbound lanes of the freeway, and the entire interstate was open again two hours later, according to the California Highway Patrol.

A section of Basilone Road that had been shut down to non-emergency traffic overnight also was reopened in the midmorning.

By then, the largest of the blazes, dubbed the Horno Fire, had scorched about 6,000 acres and was 10 percent contained. The 200-acre burn area of the so-called Wilcox Fire, meanwhile, was 80 percent surrounded.

Crews got a full line around a third, roughly 2-acre blaze, a few hours after sunrise, according to base officials.

Print this article Back to Top