Pregnant woman taken to hospital for smoke inhalation, 1 dog dies in Lakeside house fire

Dog dies in blaze

LAKESIDE, Calif. - The quick thinking of a 7-year-old girl Friday helped save her family from a Lakeside fire that killed one dog and sent her pregnant mother to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire, reported at 3:30 a.m. at a home in the 10000 block of River Street.

Juan Gomez told 10News that his girlfriend's daughter, 7-year-old Victoria Mulvaney, was the one who woke everybody up and insisted that her 2-year-old sister be taken out of the crib.

"The oldest daughter came to the room and woke us up, said she needed to take her sister out," said Gomez. "We jumped out of the bed, saw that the room was lit up and got the kids out."

Gomez, his girlfriend, and the two young girls all made it out of the house safely.

"I called for my mommy and my Juan,  so they could come and get my sister because she wouldn't get up," said Victoria.

Gomez's pregnant girlfriend was transported to an area hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

There were also four dogs at the home. Three got out, and one was killed.

Gomez said the couple recently had a talk with Victoria about what to do in case of a fire.

"We told her, because of you, your little sister, your baby sister is alive," he said.

The blaze, which started in the children's bedroom, quickly engulfed other areas of the house. 10News cameras were rolling when flames poured from the structure. Heavy smoke could also be seen a short distance away from Highway 67. Heartland Fire & Rescue dispatched four engines to the scene

Lakeside Fire District Chief Andy Parr said the blaze seemed to have started from a space heater that was placed too close to combustible material. Initial reports indicate that the fire caused more than $100,000 in damages.

10News learned the the house is an older building, about 80 years old, and was repaired after going up in flames 30 years ago.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments