Hazmat responds to chemical report on Custer Street
Last Updated: 64 days ago
SAN DIEGO - A 55-gallon drum of overheated epoxy blew open at a fiberglass supplies business in the Morena area Wednesday, sending pungent fumes through the neighborhood and prompting precautionary evacuations of nearby businesses.
The non-injury industrial accident in the 5300 block of Custer Street occurred about 1:15 p.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
Police and firefighters investigated, then called in a hazardous-materials team to determine the source of the caustic vapors permeating the commercial district just north of Friars Road, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque told reporters.
Authorities evacuated about 50 people from buildings in the immediate area.
Crews determined that epoxy in a metal barrel had heated up, apparently due to a reaction with some other chemical, to the point where it no longer could be contained, according to Luque. The lid of the drum then blew off and the some of the hot contents spewed out.
The evacuations were lifted in the late afternoon, according to police.
Copyright 2013 by City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.