Student injured in fire at science building at Cal State San Marcos

SAN MARCOS, Calif. - A fire broke out as students conducted an experiment in a science building at Cal State San Marcos Friday evening, sending one of them to a hospital, a university representative said.

The fire broke out around 7 p.m., according to Cathy Baur of Cal State San Marcos, who said the student was a male who was treated at a hospital and released.

The fire was caused by a chemical reaction, but Bauer didn't know the nature of the experiment or the chemicals used by the students, who used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames.

The building was evacuated and the San Marcos Fire Department responded along with a hazardous materials crew, she said.

The hazardous materials crew cleared the building and turned it back over to the university around 9 p.m., Baur said.

Workers were assessing what would be needed to complete the post-fire clean-up, she said.

There were three people in the room where the fire broke out, but it was unclear how many were in the entire building, Baur said.

The students conducting the experiment were preparing for a science day being held on the campus Saturday, she said, adding that the event was to take place as scheduled.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments