Officials say burned AC belt caused several to feel ill at Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Center
HAZMAT crew dispatched, building evacuated
Last Updated: 296 days ago
SAN DIEGO - Noxious fumes apparently generated by a malfunctioning air conditioner wafted through a Sorrento Valley medical center Tuesday morning, leaving patients and staffers feeling ill and forcing a complete evacuation of the three-story facility.
People began reporting an acrid odor and onsets of nausea, dizziness, stinging eyes and respiratory difficulty at Sharp Rees-Stealy Sorrento Mesa in the 10200 block of Genetic Center Drive about 8:30 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
Firefighters evacuated all the occupants -- more than 100 people -- while medics evaluated those complaining of adverse reactions to the chemical smell, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said. Ambulance crews took seven of the patients to hospitals for evaluation of their symptoms.
For their part, emergency crews smelled no foul odor upon their arrival to the clinic, and their air-quality sensors also detected no hazardous vapors, Luque said.
Investigators eventually determined that a problem with the building's air-conditioning system apparently had caused a rubber belt to heat up and burn, sending caustic fumes throughout the building.
The center reopened for normal operations about 1 p.m., according to Sharp HealthCare officials.
Copyright 2013 by City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.