Gloria Allred, victims discuss latest developments surrounding 'Bold' rapist

SAN DIEGO - Two victims of “Bolder than Most Rapist” Alvin Quarles spoke at a news conference Monday afternoon in downtown San Diego with their attorney, Gloria Allred.

In 1989 Quarles, now 51, was convicted of four counts of rape, six counts of burglary and two counts of robbery. He was sentenced to 50 years in prison. He had originally been charged with 61 sex crime counts, but agreed to a plea deal.

His moniker stemmed from the way he attacked his victims -- sometimes at knife point, sometimes forcing the women's husbands or boyfriends to watch. All of his crimes occurred in the San Diego area.

Quarles was scheduled to be released Nov. 16, 2013, after serving only half his sentence. However, one of his victims found out about the release and prosecutors filed a petition to have Quarles civilly committed.

In December 2013, a judge ruled that there was still enough evidence showing that Quarles was still capable of being considered a sexually violent predator and there should be a trial to determine whether he should be committed to a state mental hospital instead of attaining his freedom.

That trial was scheduled to start Tuesday. However, last week Quarles reportedly chose to drop the case and admit that he is a sexually violent predator who needs to remain in a mental hospital.  

"I am pleased," victim Cynthia Medina said at Monday's news conference. "It really doesn't surprise me. Maybe he realized the charges against him were too much."

"This is very good news for me, personally, as well as for the community of San Diego," victim Mary Taylor said. "I have to be honest (though) and tell you that I worry about the possibility of Quarles being released in the future."

"Mary and Cynthia are still concerned because he still has the right to bring a petition in the future to be released and argue that he is no longer a violent sexual predator," Allred said.

But Allred said Quarles will be monitored and the victims will receive notification if anything changes - something his victims said they did not receive when he was initially scheduled to be released after 25 years in prison.

"They should not have to be re-victimized," Allred said.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments