Gas leak causes explosion at strip club in Springfield, Massachusetts
Several people injured in blast
Last Updated: 179 days ago
Several people were injured Friday when an explosion caused by a gas leak ripped through a strip club in the western Massachusetts city of Springfield, a city official said.
Those inside Club Scores evacuated the single, multistory building just before the blast, city spokesman Thomas Walsh said.
Even so, several people suffered injuries in the explosion that leveled the club's building. Walsh could not immediately detail the number or extent of the injuries.
Springfield police Sgt. Richard Randolph said there were no fatalities, adding that those injured were civilians and taken to Baystate Medical Center or Mercy Medical Center.
None of the eight patients brought into Baystate Medical Center are in critical condition, said hospital spokeswoman Jane Albert. She said hospital officials have been told no more injured are coming.
Video showed that the front of the building was shredded by the blast, with parts of its facade destroyed. Walsh noted that a nearby auto repair shop had its doors completely blown off.
CNN affiliate WGGB reported that the explosion could be felt at its station, about 4 miles away.
Copyright 2012 by CNN NewSource