Gang member gets 170-year sentence in college student's beating

SAN DIEGO - One of two gang members convicted of viciously beating an 18-year-old UC Berkley student in San Diego more than two years ago will spend the rest of his life in prison.

Twenty-nine-year-old Terrence Jarvis was sentenced in San Diego County Superior Court Friday to 170 years to life in prison.

"It's going to allow us to heal because this neighborhood is just not the same since that went down," said neighbor Robert Rotzler. "This has been a very safe, quiet neighborhood. When that happened a little something was taken away."

On Dec. 28, 2011, Jarvis and David Daniel White attacked Grant Richman of Northridge shortly after he arrived in the College area of San Diego to spend the night at a friend's home. Doctors initially thought Richman, of Northridge, wouldn't survive.

Rotzler and his roommate found Richman lying on the street in their neighborhood after Rotzler's roommate's dog, then 13-year-old Maxine, sensed something was wrong.

Rotzler says if it had not been for the dog's keen senses, Richman would have received the medical attention he needed and would have likely died.

"Maxine stayed alive just for this, it seems," said Rotzler. "She was the hero of this story. She was the thing that saved Grant's life."

"Twenty years from now, what will I remember about this case? I will remember a 13-year-old dog," said Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Fraser.

Jarvis and White went on a 12-hour crime spree that began on Dec. 27, 2011, when a man received a "disciplinary" gang-related beating in front of a home in Emerald Hills.

A woman was robbed at gunpoint in Mountain View. About an hour later, the defendants tried to rob another woman on El Cajon Boulevard in Rolando, police said.

Minutes later, Richman was attacked as he got out of his car in front of his friend's house in the 4600 block of Antioch Place at about 12:30 a.m. on Dec. 28. He was bludgeoned in the head from behind as he placed cupcakes on the roof of his car.

"It tore something out of us all, it truly did," said Rotzler.

Jarvis was arrested in San Diego the day after the attack on Richman for allegedly violating his parole and committing domestic violence.

White was arrested Jan. 17, 2012, in Mesa, Ariz., for a probation violation. A week later, police said they had tied the defendants to the attack on Richman.

In October 2013, White plead guilty to attempted murder and other charges related to the crime spree and was sentenced to 22 years to life in prison.

Richman suffered severe brain trauma and has been undergoing extensive rehabilitation. He has recovered to the point of resuming classes at UC Berkeley and even got a chance to meet Maxine and take photos with her.

Print this article Back to Top