Former San Diego mayor Bob Filner's house arrest ends Sunday

SAN DIEGO - Former San Diego mayor Bob Filner's three-month term on house arrest is reportedly due to end Sunday.

The period of home confinement and GPS monitoring was the result of his guilty pleas last fall to false imprisonment and battery, stemming from allegations of sexual harassment by at least 20 women.

The improprieties led the 71-year-old former Democratic congressman to leave office last Aug. 30.

He was sentenced Dec. 9 in San Diego Superior Court, but his GPS monitoring system was set up a week after it was supposed to have been, lawyer Earll Pott told U-T San Diego.

Under his plea deal, Filner was not allowed to leave his lavish downtown apartment building unless he was attending mental health counseling.

A 10News camera was outside his home Sunday but did not see any sign of him.

Attorney Jan Ronis, who is not representing Filner, told 10News it is likely Filner will not get his GPS monitoring device removed until Monday.

Ronis says Filner should now focus on completing his three years probation.

"The general admonition ... just be a law-abiding citizen in all respects and pay your dues and seek the relief from the court in 18 months or 36 months and get on with your life," he said.

Eighteen months after his sentencing, Filner can apply to have his probation reduced to informal probation. He can also petition to have his felony conviction reduced to a misdemeanor. Filner was required to undergo mental health treatment while under court supervision. He also was fined $1,500.

While Filner’s future remains to be seen, Ronis believes his career in politics has likely come to an end.

“Lots of politicians rebuild their reputation but it takes a while and he’s nearly 70 and I can’t imagine him being able to rebuild his reputation,” said Ronis.

According to a sentencing memorandum submitted by his defense team, Filner -- once he became mayor -- failed to keep up "with his longstanding exercise regimen and course of psychiatric counseling and medications that had been prescribed by congressional doctors to help stabilize his mood and safeguard his mental health.

"The sudden disruption in his medications, coupled with longstanding issues of anxiety and the stress of assuming a new, intensely political executive position substantially contributed to conduct, described in the probation officer's report, which has brought Mr. Filner before this court," according to the defense memo.

Supervising state Deputy Attorney General Melissa Mandel told Presiding Judge Robert Trentacosta in October that Filner, while attending a fundraiser on March 6 of last year used "greater force than necessary" to restrain a woman against her will and used additional force to overcome her resistance, in a move that became known as the "Filner headlock."

Mandel said he used force and kissed another woman on the lips without her consent at a "Meet the Mayor" event on April 6, 2013.

Filner also admitted grabbing a third woman on the buttocks after she asked to take a picture with him at a May 25 rally at Fiesta Island.

The scandal tarnished the city's reputation as it continuously gained national attention. Laura Fink, one of Filner’s many accusers, told 10News on Sunday she does not harbor any hate for Filner and just wants the city to continue to move forward.

“We all need to forgive,” she told 10News. “I believe that everyone needs to make amends and that they need to move forward and pursue a path of justice.”

10News reached out to Filner's attorney to find out exactly when his GPS monitoring device will be removed but have not heard back.

Print this article Back to Top