LOS ANGELES - Former San Diego Charger and three-time NFL Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman said Monday he was rushed from a Hollywood club to a Los Angeles hospital because he was dehydrated.
"I'm fine guys been working my butt off with training and launching LightsOut and my MBA, flew in from shooting a film in Canada and was dehydrated," the 29-year-old tweeted to fans this morning.
LightsOut is a men's clothing brand that uses the same moniker given to Merriman in high school when he rendered four opposing players unconscious.
Merriman was rushed from The Colony nightclub to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for an undisclosed medical emergency around 9:30 p.m. Sunday, according to the Los Angeles Times. It was unclear when he was released but TMZ reported he was spotted leaving Greystone Manor, a West Hollywood supperclub, shortly
before 12:30 a.m.
He was cordial, lucid and in no way like a person who was "barely conscious" just three hours earlier, the celebrity gossip site reported.
Merriman's rep told TMZ, "At the hospital, he got fluids and felt fine."
TMZ reports that his rep also said that any reports of a drug overdose is "absurd."
Merriman announced his retirement from the NFL in March. He was drafted 12th overall by the Chargers in the 2005 NFL Draft and remained with the team until 2010, when he was picked up by the Buffalo Bills.
He was honored as the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2005 but the later part of his career was plagued with minimal play due to injuries.
Merriman was back on his Twitter account by 3 a.m. Monday and told his followers he was dehydrated.
I'm fine guys been working my butt offwith training and launching LightsOut and my MBA, flew in from shooting a film in Canada and was...— Shawne Merriman (@shawnemerriman) June 10, 2013
Ok just to clear a few things up b/c certain things are just not cool m.tmz.com/#Article/2013/…— Shawne Merriman (@shawnemerriman) June 10, 2013