A fee to go into Mexico? Pilot program underway


UPDATE: Pilot program to charge foreigners to enter Mexico suspended

If you are a United States citizen and cross the border frequently you may have to pay a fee to go into Mexico.

The National Immigration Institute in Mexico (INAMI) has started a pilot program in which foreigners that enter Mexican territory for more than seven days or they will be involved in paid work, they will have to pay 306 pesos, or about 28 US dollars.

Related: Pilot program to charge foreigners to enter Mexico suspended

“We are doing what should be done,” said Rudolfo Figueroa, representative of INAMI in Baja California. “Foreigners who enter Mexico have the obligation to register; if they will be in national territory for more than seven days, they have to pay the right of non-residents.”

Figueroa said that the implementation is a pilot program, but the legislation has existed since 2012.

Related: Immigrants hopeful, frustrated with Obama's plan

He adds that currently the implementation does not include vehicles yet, only pedestrians that cross into Mexico through the port of entries in Otay, San Ysidro/El Chaparral and Puerta Mexico Este.

How will this affect U.S. citizens who cross the border frequently or just want to visit family and what about tourism?

“People that enter Mexico for a period under seven days do not have to pay anything,” said Figueroa. “Only those who enter for a longer period of time and those who are going to be involved in paid work.”

CLICK HERE FOR UPDATE: Pilot program to charge foreigners to enter Mexico suspended

For more stories on immigration and the border visit our sister station AztecaSD.com. You can also download their mobile app.

Print this article Back to Top