Cigarette sparks fire at Oceanside hotel

OCEANSIDE, Calif. - A fire at an Oceanside hotel was caused by a cigarette and damaged at least six rooms, authorities said Thursday.

At about 7:30 a.m., several guests at the Comfort Suites Marina on 888 North Coast Highway reported smelling smoke. Guests were evacuated after fire alarms went off.

Oceanside fire personnel said they determined a cigarette was left unattended on the third floor. At least six rooms were damaged by the fire, with five other rooms damaged by water sprinklers.

10News learned about 72 guests were at the hotel at the time, and many of them were evacuees from the Carlsbad and Camp Pendleton fires.

The hotel is expected to open some rooms later Thursday afternoon. Guests are being allowed to go back into their rooms to retrieve their belongings.

No injuries were reported.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments