Fire destroys Oceanside home: Firefighters rescue family dog hiding under table
Firefighters say fire caused by overloaded circuit
Last Updated: 141 days ago
OCEANSIDE, Calif. - Fire destroyed a home in Oceanside on Tuesday afternoon, forcing the tenants to run outside to safety.
Heather Johnson says she was home taking a nap when she smelled smoke coming from the garage of the home in the 4800 block of Ventana Way.
"I yelled for my sister and uncle and grabbed my two dogs, but I couldn't find Tammi, our Shih Tzu," said Johnson. "I tried running back in the house but there was too much smoke. I didn't know if she was out or not."
Oceanside firefighters went inside to battle the smoke and flames that quickly gutted the entire garage and house.
"After what felt like forever, a firefighter came out holding Tammi and I was so grateful," said Johnson. "She was hiding under the table and he found her."
Oceanside Fire Department Battalion Chief Peter Lawrence said, "The dog was given oxygen and it's doing just fine."
The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical.
"There were too many things plugged into one outlet. The circuit overloaded. It was a dangerous situation," said Lawrence.
Johnson said the home went up in a matter of minutes. She said firefighters made it to the scene quickly, but the flames spread too fast.
The house was ruled a total loss. No one was injured.
The tenants have renters' insurance and are staying with family members.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.