Fire damages El Cajon apartment
Fire caused by unattended food cooking on stove
Last Updated: 115 days ago
EL CAJON, Calif. - Firefighters were mopping up Sunday from a midnight kitchen fire in an apartment on Wisconsin Avenue in El Cajon.
Heartland Fire & Rescue crews in El Cajon, with assistance from Cal Fire, rushed to the fire at 314 Wisconsin Ave. at 11:51 p.m., El Cajon Fire spokeswoman Monica Zech said.
"Fire crews found the fire was coming from the kitchen and had the fire out in less than five minutes," Zech said. "Quick action by firefighters kept the fire from reaching other apartments."
Zech said no one was home when the fire started, but said the family of three did return while firefighters were extinguishing the blaze.
There were no injuries. Damage has been estimated at $5,000, Zech said.
"Food left cooking on the stove was determined to be the cause of the fire," Zech said.
Due to fire damage, apartment residents were displaced and are staying temporarily with friends, Zech said.
Copyright 2013 by City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.