7 people displaced from Mount Hope duplex fire
Space heater blamed for igniting enormous fire
Last Updated: 353 days ago
SAN DIEGO - Seven people were displaced from an enormous duplex fire in a Mount Hope neighborhood Sunday morning.
The fire started around 5:30 a.m. at the corner of J and Gavin streets.
Firefighters said it took nearly an hour to extinguish the flames.
Three people were displaced from where the fire started, and four other people in the adjoining duplex unit were also burned out of their home.
Maurice Luque with the San Diego Fire and Rescue Department says an ignited space heater caused the fire.
Three people were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Two dogs were saved from the fire, but a third dog was found dead inside one of the homes.
Investigators said there were smoke detectors in the home.
Damage is estimated to be 325,000 dollars.
Luque says as the weather turns colder it’s important for people to make sure nothing is placed immediately next to space heaters, and items should be at least three feet away from space heaters.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.