Fire causes $250K in damages to former fraternity house

SAN DIEGO - Ten people were displaced when discarded smoking material sparked a fire at a former fraternity house near San Diego State University early Wednesday, causing $250,000 in damage, authorities said.

The fire at 5071 College Ave. was reported at 5:12 a.m. and knocked down about 25 minutes later, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. No injuries were reported.

The fire was started by smoldering smoking material in a trash can outside the rear of the house, SDFRD reported, adding that damage was estimated at $150,000 to the structure, $50,000 to its contents and $50,000 to exterior
things, including two cars.

The house was formerly used by the fraternity Zeta Beta Tau, but is now a privately owned rental property.
 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments