Fire burns house near Mitt Romney's La Jolla home

SAN DIEGO - A fire broke out at a home just a few doors down from the home of former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney Monday evening.

The fire was reported around 8:15 p.m. on the 300 block of Dunemere Drive in La Jolla.

The husband and wife called 911 after smelling smoke. They told firefighters they had been having electrical problems at their home throughout the day.

The fire was contained to an area between the exterior wall and the interior wall. It is an area near the chimney where there was no insulation.

Firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof for ventilation.

Firefighters said an electrical problem sparked the fire.

No other homes were threatened.

Damage was estimated at $75,000 to the house and $50,000 to its contents.
 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments