Fire breaks out at City Heights taco shop

SAN DIEGO - A fire possibly caused by spontaneous combustion spread through a City Heights taco shop Wednesday, causing an estimated $150,000 worth of damage.

The non-injury blaze in the 4900 block of El Cajon Boulevard erupted shortly after 7 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. It took crews about 45 minutes to extinguish the flames.

Investigators suspect that the fire likely broke out when greasy rags began burning due to a chemical reaction, SDFRD spokesman Lee Swanson said.

The monetary losses were set at $75,000 each to the structure and contents.

The fire caused some delays in bus service in the busy area, according to Metropolitan Transit System officials.

Print this article Back to Top