Downtown high-rise briefly evacuated due to fire

SAN DIEGO - A high-rise building in downtown San Diego was briefly evacuated Saturday due to a small fire.

The incident was reported at about 5:15 p.m. at the Jewelers Exchange building on Sixth Avenue between E and F streets when people working inside noticed a strong smell of smoke.

Firefighters determined that a piece of electrical equipment in one of the jewelry businesses sparked a small fire that smoldered out on its own.

The building was evacuated for about an hour.

No injuries were reported.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments