SAN DIEGO - A man attempting to extract hash oil at an East Village apartment complex caused an explosion and a subsequent two-alarm fire, authorities said.
San Diego police officers and firefighters were dispatched to the complex on F Street at Ninth Avenue after the explosion about 8:45 p.m. Thursday, and arrived to find the building in flames, police said.
A woman suffered severe burns in the fire and was taken to a hospital to be treated, according to police and the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
SDFRD spokesman Lee Swanson said a fire in the kitchen of a third-floor apartment was ignited when butane, used in the extraction process, sparked.
San Diego Police Department's Narcotic Task Force was looking into the incident, police said.
At least seven units in the building were affected by the fire.
There is no word when residents will be let back into their apartments.