Electrical issue to blame for Mission Beach fire

SAN DIEGO - An electrical problem in a ground-floor kitchen wall sparked a fire Wednesday that caused an estimated $250,000 worth of damage to a Mission Beach condominium building.

The non-injury blaze in the 2900 block of Ocean Front Walk erupted about 10 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. The two people in the four-story structure at the time were able to escape on their own, SDFRD spokesman Lee Swanson said.

It took crews about a half-hour to get the fire under control.

"They contained it to that first unit and essentially to that wall, but there's ... a fair amount of damage there," Swanson said.

Investigators set the monetary losses at $150,000 to the structure and $100,000 to contents.

The residents of the damaged unit told firefighters they could arrange for alternate lodging themselves, without help from the American Red Cross.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments