Driver Who Struck, Killed Woman Sentenced

Larry Farry Convicted Of Gross Vehicular Manslaughter In Death Of 56-Year-Old Joan Milazzo Last August

A motorist who was speeding when he fatally struck a woman crossing a street during a hike with family members in northern San Diego was sentenced Monday to 120 days in custody.

" Sign Up For Breaking News Alerts" Like Us On Facebook" Follow Us On Twitter

Lawrence Farry, 26, was convicted last month of misdemeanor gross vehicular manslaughter in the death last August of 56-year-old Joan Milazzo in the community of Del Sur.

Superior Court Judge Frederic Link ordered Farry to spend the first 30 days of his custody in the county jail and the remaining time on electronic monitoring. Farry was also placed on three years probation and ordered to do 25 days of public work service.

Link told the defendant that he had to take responsibility for his own actions. "You killed somebody, based on stupidity," the judge said, "and you gotta pay for it."

Authorities said Farry had argued with his mother and was on his way to work around 9:50 a.m. Aug. 30 when his speeding car struck Milazzo in the 14900 block of Camino Del Sur. The victim, who had been hiking with her husband and sister, died at a hospital about an hour later.

Prosecutors said Farry was going more than 80 mph when he struck Milazzo.

The victim and her husband, Paul, had moved to San Diego just months prior to be closer to their family.

"She planned to have family dinners, have more holiday dinners, have more extended family over, Paul Milazzo said in court Monday.

The victim's daughter, Kathleen Milazzo, also addressed the court.

"The day after my 25th birthday, I collapsed on the floor of the hospital in the waiting room after the doctors said she had died, dealing with my mom's shocking and traumatic death has been the most difficult thing I have had to endure," said Kathleen Milazzo.

Farry, a UCLA graduate who had no prior criminal record, was traveling between 81-87 miles per hour in a 50-mph zone, according prosecutor Chandelle Konstanzer. The defendant remained at the scene.

Farry apologized for his actions and asked the victim's family to forgive him. "I know that my speeding on August 30th was wrong, horribly wrong, and I know that it played a role in the death of Joan Milazzo," said Farry. "This accident left me shattered," he said. "(It) devastated me on every level. My speeding was wrong. I beg for (forgiveness)."

Farry said he wanted to address the family sooner.

"I can only imagine how anguishing it must have been to hear nothing from me only to guess of my intentions and feelings, for this I am so very sorry," added Farry.

His mother also spoke directly to the Milazzo family.

"I really want you to know that you cannot imagine the pain we feel for your family we are really deeply sorry for you," said Brenda Farry.

Konstanzer said Farry acted "recklessly" by driving so fast.

Paul Milazzo said his family was satisfied with Farry's sentence.

"Nothing is going to bring Joan back," the widower said, adding that Farry's remorse seemed genuine.

Kathleen Milazzo said the accident was a "lose-lose" for both families.

"I think forgiveness is definitely a possibility in the near future," she said outside court.

Print this article Back to Top