Dead rat found inside man's store-bought birthday cake

SUFFOLK COUNTY, N.Y. - A man celebrating his 96th birthday got an unpleasant surprise when he took a bite of his birthday cake.

Joe Valente said his store-bought German apple ring cake had an unusual flavor.

"He said, 'It doesn't taste right,'" Valente’s nephew Neil Gold told ABC News affiliate WABC.

Niel Gold said he then cut the cake to reveal what appeared to be a line of black mold. "We saw it was coming from the bottom. We flipped it over and seemed to be a rat's tail," Gold said.

The cake had been bought from King Kullen grocery store, a supermarket in Suffolk County, N.Y., his nephew said.

Valente didn’t contract food poisoning, but ABC News reported that the family’s lawyer said he plans to have the cake tested and have appealed to authorities to investigate.

"I personally am of the opinion that this cake was tampered with," attorney Ed Yule said.
The grocery chain said it is investigating the incident.

“Product has been removed from the bakery and the premises have undergone a thorough inspection,” King Kullen said in a statement. “There are no known safety or rodent issues in this bakery department and it is in good standing with all Department of Agriculture inspections.”

Valente told his nephew that although the cake did not make him physically ill, it did make him feel pretty sick to his stomach.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments