Crews repair road damaged by main break on Nimitz Boulevard in Point Loma

Roads closed, but water service restored for many

SAN DIEGO - A portion of Nimitz Boulevard in Point Loma remained closed Monday as crews continue to repair a large sinkhole caused by a water main break.

City skiploaders worked nonstop on Monday to fill the sinkhole. 10News learned that the roadway is expected to reopen Monday evening.

The rupture occurred early Sunday morning beneath Nimitz Boulevard at Shafter Street, between Rosecrans Boulevard and North Harbor Drive, San Diego water officials said.

Residents Mylisa Lewis and Chris Pirino said they had just gone to bed when they heard a loud noise.

"We just [lay] down and we heard a loud boom and the walls were shaking, we were like 'What's that noise, what's going on?'" said Lewis.

As water pumps chugged away on Sunday, city crews used heavy equipment to drag huge chunks of asphalt out of the sinkhole. Late Sunday night, crews yanked out the faulty, 70-year-old cast-iron pipe that spewed thousands of gallons of water.

Residents and landlords in the neighborhood were wondering who would pay for all the damage left by the water.

"I pay taxes and I pay rental taxes on top of property taxes, so I pay money and I pay water bills and I've now been inundated by the city's bad pipes," said landlord Curtis Klapp, who owns a small apartment building and bungalow on Keats Street.

The break led to an enormous amount of water flooding into apartments and bungalows early Sunday morning. 10News video showed one bungalow that still had brown murky floodwater covering the floor on Monday. By that point, the resident had moved everything out, but everything he had was ruined.  

"I'm going to have to cut out the drywall of the unit, run fans, dry that place out," Klapp said.

The city said tenants and landlords will be compensated for their losses. They or their insurance companies must file claims through the city's risk management department.

Even for people who did not get much flood damage, the loss of water was difficult.

Some residents, who were without water most of Sunday through early Monday, resorted to filling plastic jugs with water from a fire hydrant so that they could flush their toilets.

Paul Miller, a resident, said it was every man for himself.

"It's a bad feeling in your stomach living like this," he said. "It's like I'm in a third world country or something."

Miller said completing everyday tasks such as washing the dishes and taking a shower was a challenge.

"I had to go buy bottled waters so that I can give my son a bath in the tub and my wife could take a bath in the tub," said Miller.

Another resident, whose car was stranded by flooding in the area, said frustration was high among his neighbors.

"I'd like to take a shower," said Webster Moyle early Monday. "It's irritating ... just not being able to use water. Water is a necessity."

Residents were initially told they would get their water back by 6 p.m. Sunday. Then, that was pushed to 8 p.m., to 10 p.m. and then midnight, but still no water. City water officials said they tried to restore water late Sunday night, but there were problems with valves, forcing them to shut the water off and make some adjustments.

On Monday morning, crews were able to restore water for some nearby homes. Water was turned on for all residents at about noon.

Print this article Back to Top