Linda Vista house fire displaces family of 7
Fire reported in 3200 block of Ashford Street
Last Updated: 156 days ago
SAN DIEGO - Seven people found themselves displaced Wednesday because of a cooking fire that gutted their Linda Vista home, causing more than $300,000 in damage, authorities said.
The noninjury blaze in the 3200 block of Ashford Street erupted just after 4 p.m. Tuesday, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
Police blocked off traffic lanes in the area while firefighters extinguished the flames, which took about 15 minutes.
Raf Madrigal walked 10News through the home and showed the fire's destruction.
"I was on my Facebook and my friend posted on my wall saying, 'Your house is on fire,'" said Madrigal.
Madrigal, 17, was at a job interview down the street when his friend told him about the fire.
"I was just scared," he said. "I called my mom and said the house is on fire."
She believed her son was still inside the home and jumped the curb with her minivan while rushing to the scene.
"Yes, she was scared," said Madrigal.
The home's ceiling was torn apart by crews in order to get water inside the single-story home.
Everything in the back of the home remained untouched by the fire. That included the family's Christmas tree and the wrapped Christmas presents.
Madrigal's father Leo is thankful no one was injured.
"My family is safe and that's all that I care about right now," he said. "Thank God we're safe."
The American Red Cross was called in to help Madrigal and his family, which included his mom and dad, his three siblings, ranging in age from 8 to 22, and his grandmother, to arrange interim housing.
Fire damages included: $500 to a fence, $200,000 to the structure and $100,000 to its contents.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.