Crews knock down mobile home fire in Otay Mesa
SDFRD: Delivery man helped save woman from blaze
Last Updated: 74 days ago
SAN DIEGO - A man working a newspaper-delivery route Thursday morning helped an 80-year-old Otay Mesa woman escape a fire that destroyed her mobile home, authorities reported.
The non-injury blaze at Ocean Bluff Mobile Home Park, 3340 Del Sol Blvd., erupted for unknown reasons shortly before 5 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
A newspaper deliveryman making his rounds in the area noticed the trailer was on fire, hurried over and knocked at the front door, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said. He then helped the resident, who had been awakened by a smoke alarm, get out unharmed.
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to extinguish the flames.
About an hour later, a 65-year-old former resident of the ruined mobile home showed up, and police arrested him for violating a temporary restraining order that required him to stay away from the woman who lived there by herself, SDPD public affairs Lt. Kevin Mayer said.
Neighbors said the man was kicked out of the home, and 10News learned that the man walked up to the woman with papers in hand.
Investigators considered the blaze suspicious, but were unable to pin down the exact cause, Luque said.
The monetary losses were set at $100,000 each to the gutted structure and its contents, along with $15,000 in heat damage to an adjacent mobile home.
The American Red Cross was called in to help the displaced woman arrange for interim lodging.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. City News Service contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.