Crews douse North Park garage fire; four marijuana plants discovered
Fire on 4000 block of Alabama Street
Last Updated: 263 days ago
SAN DIEGO - An electrical malfunction sparked a garage fire that caused an estimated $83,000 worth of damage at a North Park apartment complex Friday.
The blaze in the 4000 block of Alabama Street was reported shortly after 6 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
It took crews about 10 minutes to extinguish the flames, which were confined to a single garage, SDFRD spokesman Lee Swanson said.
Medics treated a resident at the scene for superficial burn injuries.
Investigators determined that some sort of problem with electrical equipment in the garage ignited the fire, Swanson said. The monetary losses were set at $25,000 each to the structure and contents, and $33,000 combined to an Acura sedan and Toyota RAV4 sport utility vehicle parked nearby.
While putting out the blaze, firefighters found four marijuana plants in the garage, the spokesman said. It was unclear if anyone would face charges for possessing or cultivating the cannabis.
Copyright 2013 by City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.