SAN DIEGO - It took fire crews about one hour to douse a brush fire that charred about 25 acres in the Chula Vista area Wednesday.
The fire was reported just before 12:30 p.m. in an area near Main Street and Heritage Road. 10News learned an arm on a garbage truck traveling on Main Street caught onto a fiber-optic phone line.
Chula Vista Fire Department Deputy Chief Jim Garcia said, "When it caught that cable, it pulled the two telephone poles closer together ... When the cable released, the poles came out and snapped. When they broke out ... they created a slack in the [San Diego Gas & Electric] lines. The SDG&E lines touched each other, shorted out, dropped to the ground."
The power lines sparked the fire, and SDG&E confirmed about 2,000 customers -- including nearby SeaWorld Aquatica -- lost power.
SeaWorld officials told 10News that Aquatica visitors were asked to leave due to the power outage. Officials said the water park would remain closed until power was restored.
Park visitors were offered a rebate or refund for the inconvenience.
"… They gave us this card saying we have to email them to get our money back," two teenage guests told 10News.
Power was restored by 5 p.m.
The blaze burned near the Sleep Train Amphitheater and SeaWorld Aquatica, but was not considered an immediate threat.
Firefighters from four agencies doused the flames from the ground and aboard a water-dropping helicopter.
Click to Like the ABC10 Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/ABC10News) or follow 10News on Twitter (@10News).
Also download our 10News mobile and tablet apps to stay up-to-date with developing stories when you are on the go: http://www.10news.com/about/mobile.