Coop's West Texas Barbeque chimney fire was insignificant

Business was open the same day

LEMON GROVE, Calif. - A small chimney fire at Coop's West Texas Barbeque on Lemon Avenue last month "was nothing significant," according to a fire official.

Other media reports described the fire as a "blaze," but owner Brad Cooper said those reports were false.

"We were open for business the same day," Cooper said.

Some flames crept into the chimney shortly before 9:30 a.m. on Aug. 30. Cooper said the smoke coming from the chimney looked much worse than the fire was. Fire officials confirmed this.

Health department inspectors arrived around 11 a.m., and gave Cooper approval to open immediately, he said.

Cooper said he wanted to make sure San Diego knows he's open for business at 2625 Lemon Grove Ave., and also at his second location in Chula Vista, which opened this year.

Coop's Lemon Grove location has been open nearly three years, and has received hundreds of five-star reviews on Yelp.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments