Cleanup begins in Napa after quake

NAPA, Calif. - The cleanup is underway in Napa after Sunday morning's 6.0 earthquake, the largest to shake the Bay Area since the 6.9 Loma Prieta quake in 1989.

There are dozens, if not hundreds of buildings in downtown Napa that will need to be rebuilt from the earthquake. Officials said Sunday that about 90 to 100 homes in the area were deemed uninhabitable.

SLIDESHOW: Quake damage from Northern California

The magnitude-6.0 earthquake that struck at 3:20 a.m. Sunday, about 6 miles from the city of Napa, ruptured water mains and gas lines, left two adults and a child critically injured, upended bottles and casks at some of Napa Valley's famed wineries and sent residents running out of their homes.

“This is indicative of what all the aisles looked like this morning when we got here,” said Catherine Shackford as she showed 10News' reporter Joe Little the damage at Shackford’s Kitchen Store in downtown Napa.

Everywhere you looked there were bricks, glass and crowds of people out to survey it all.

“I've been waiting for that little bit of building to fall down for the past hour or so,” Andrew Baker said.

Queen of the Valley Medical Center in Napa, which treated 120 people, has some damage from the earthquake. That included burst pipes in a non-patient area, ceiling tiles falling off in office areas and minor structural damage to an outbuilding.

State and local roads leading to wineries south of Napa, around the community of Carneros, we're closer to the quake's suspected origin and showed more damage than elsewhere. By the middle of Sunday afternoon, road crews had patched a section of state Highway 121 where the roadbed had shifted, cracking open the surface. Nearby, crews repaired a local road where the roadbed had dropped several inches.
Off that road, vintner Richard Ward of Saintsbury winery oversaw workers righting giant toppled barrels and rescuing a 500-pound grape de-stemmer that the quake had thrown to the ground.
"That's what happens when you're a mile from the epicenter," he said, turning to point toward hills where the quake apparently started.
Ward lost 300 to 400 bottles in the winery's basement. The grape harvest was supposed to have started overnight tonight, but would now be pushed off a few days, he said. Had the harvest started last night, the quake would have caught the workers in the wine buildings, with the heavy barrels, when it struck, Ward said.
Mark Ghilarducci, director of the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services, said at a news conference late Sunday afternoon that the situation had stabilized.
By midday, officials had a good sense that the fires were out and power was starting to be restored.

"While it was bad, it wasn't as bad as it could be and it was very manageable from a regional perspective," he said.
Ghilarducci said the next step was to continue damage assessments and get a cost estimate for potential federal assistance.
Aftershocks were expected to continue for several weeks, though State Geologist John Parrish said they would decrease in magnitude and it was unlikely that there would be a large follow-up earthquake. Still, he warned people to be careful because buildings that were damaged by the quake were now more susceptible to collapse from aftershocks.

Print this article Back to Top