Catering Truck Explodes, Catches Fire

Two People Victims Of Smoke Inhalation

A catering truck carrying a 500-gallon propane tank caught fire and exploded in the parking lot of United Rentals Monday in Kearny Mesa, and two people were overcome by smoke, a San Diego fire official said.

It happened at 5580 Kearny Villa Road about 1:30 p.m., said Lesli Halik, of the San Diego Fire Department.

"There (are) two smoke inhalation victims," she said.

Eight other vehicles in the parking lot were threatened by the flames, Halik said, and a hazardous materials team was sent to deal with the propane.

In the aftermath, Kearny Villa Road was closed between Clairemont Mesa Boulevard and Highway 52. Freeway ramps in the area also were closed.

Print this article Back to Top