Boston Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi heading home to San Diego

SAN DIEGO - For the first time since winning the Boston Marathon, Meb Keflezighi is heading home to San Diego on Sunday evening, just in time for his Cinco de Mayo birthday.

Keflezighi is the first American to win the Boston Marathon since 1983.

"I feel blessed to have this opportunity to win the Boston title not just for me, but for the people," he told 10News over the phone.

Keflezighi says it was the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing that gave him the constant motivation and drive to win. He said he wanted to do something where he could change the world.

"This ranks the most victorious of my entire career just because what had happened last year and the whole USA, the whole world's eyes were on Boston … to be able to come as an American and win it, you know, it was just the thrill of a lifetime," he said.

Keflezighi says energy was pumping through his veins as he reached the finish line, especially once he started chanting "USA" and the crowd joined in.

"Looked back and said, 'God give me the strength of the victims, the crowd' and just to get me to that finish line … what an amazing experience to hear people chant USA, USA," he said.

Keflezighi says his career is now 100 percent fulfilled, but says he is excited about running with fellow San Diegans on June 1 in the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll marathon, which is promoting Keflezighi on the front page of their website.

After that, he says he will focus on the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

"It would be an amazing experience and I would love to do it, but also my daughter who is 4-years-old … she has no idea what's going on right now so hopefully, you know, she'll remember what her dad does," said Keflezighi.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments