Board drags out decision on San Diego Opera closure

SAN DIEGO - The board of directors for the San Diego Opera have again delayed a decision on the organization’s future.

Following a meeting Friday afternoon in La Jolla, board members were vague on what their next step might be.

Board member Pam Slater-Price told 10News that they would continue exploring options. Price said that they were still on track to cease operations if a plan is not reached by April 29. The opera recently said it would need $10 million just to remain open for another season.

"The chance of the opera staying open today is slim, but there are a significant number of people interested in raising a new operation," Price said.

According to Price, such an operation would not include the opera’s longtime director Ian Campbell, who has come under severe criticism in recent weeks over his fiscal management of the opera in recent years, including what many call a bloated salary.

Price said the board will be taking advice from outside organizations such as Opera America before moving forward.

On March 19, the opera announced that the board of directors had voted to shutter it at the conclusion of the season because of serious ongoing financial issues. However, since then, questions have arisen over the opera’s budgetary decision-making and possible fiscal mismanagement.

On March 31, the board reversed course, voting to delay the closure for two weeks to provide time to allow the opera to raise the estimated $10 million it would need to remain open for another season.

This season will conclude with three performances of Massenet's "Don Quixote" tonight and April 13.

The San Diego Opera originated as the San Diego Opera Guild in 1950. The San Diego Opera Association was incorporated in 1965.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments